- Species: Midge Patterns
- Stage: Emerger Flies
- Difficulty: Easy
How to Tie a WD-40 Fly Pattern
Here is a Great Pattern That Imitates Both a Midge and a Baetis. This is Another Excellent Pattern For Late Winter or Early Spring Fly Fishing in Colorado. You Can Fish it as an Emerger as Well if You Skate it Along the End of a Run Right Before the Riffle Starts, Where A Lot of Trout Feed on Emerger Patterns. It Requires Few Materials to Tie Which Makes it an Easy and Cheap Pattern That Will Catch A Lot of Fish.
This Fly Pattern Video is a Brought to You By Tightline Productions.
WD-40 Fly Pattern Recipe
Here are the Materials You Need to Tie the WD-40:
- Hook Type: Tiemco 2457 or Dai Riki #125
- Hook Size: #14-#26
- Thread Type: UTC 70 Denier Thread
- Thread Color: Any
- Tailing Fibers: Wood Duck or Similar Hackle
- Dubbing: Ultra Fine Dry Fly Dubbing in Matching Color
- Effectiveness: 7/10
- Difficulty to Tie: 3/10 – Easy
- Average Cost Per Fly – .40 to .60 Per 25
- Stage: Nymph/Emerger
- Imitation: Midge
- Sizes: #12 – #22
Fly Shop Quality for Less
- Save 50% - 60% off fly shop prices and buy direct through us.
- All flies are hand-tied to each and every order to ensure durability and quality
Beadhead WD-40 for Sale
The Beadhead WD-40 is a favorite fly of mine and works well all rivers and lakes. The wood duck (it’s what wd stands for in WD-40) tail is the key part to this fly that helps it out perform other midge and mayfly nymph and emerger patterns. The tail is meant to imitate a shuck of an emerging insect and that is something fish key in on when looking to eat an easy meal. When emerging insects leave the shuck, they are temporarily helpless. This pattern imitates that helpless little midge or mayfly perfectly.
This is a great fly for anyone looking to fish midge and mayfly nymphs on tailwaters or freestone rivers.
Buy the Beadhead WD-40
The Beadhead WD-40 is for sale in a variety of sizes. Add them to your cart today by the dozen or by adding a dozen with 3 different sizes (sampler pack) to add variety to your fly box and help you catch more fish on a variety of rivers. Our proven patterns are custom tied to each and every order to make sure the highest quality of fishing flies are delivered to your door.
- Flies are available by the dozen
- Variety Packs available – 4 flies of 3 different sizes
- Tied to Order flies require 15-30 Days for Delivery
- Minimum Order 1 Dozen – Quantity Discounts After 5 Dozen (As Low As $1.00/Fly)
“Catch More Fish | Find New Adventures”
Our Promise to You
We know it can be hard to buy flies sight unseen, especially if you’re a first time customer. That’s why, if you are unhappy with your order, we will make it right by re-tying your order or refund your entire order.
We promise to do right by our customers always.
Available Sizes, Colors, Beadheads and More
#12, #14, #16, #18, #20, #22, #14 (4), #16 (4), #18 (4), #16 (4), #18 (4), #20 (4), #18 (4), #20 (4), #22 (4)
Black, Chartreuse, Olive, Red, Tan
Standard Brass, Tungsten